The property of Lower Canty Bay was purchased in 1923 by the first Scout Master of the Charlotte Baptist Chapel Scout Troop - Mr William Edgar Evans.
The property consists of two separate cottages ("The Cub Cottages" and "The Scout Cottages") and a large detached property ("The Big House") with surrounding ground including a small playing field ("The Triangle").
In 1936, in a remarkable act of Christian generosity, "Pa" Evans gifted all the properties he had purchased to a Trust along with a capital sum to provide for ongoing upkeep and maintenance. The principal beneficiary of the Evans Trust is the Scout Group of Charlotte Baptist Chapel, a church in Shandwick Place, Edinburgh.
Whilst the property has been maintained, improved and upgraded over the years, it remains largely in its original state.
The present Trustees, David Whitlie, Ian Gordon, Norman Wallace, Brian Wilson, Brenda Sinclair, Stuart Walker and Robert Naysmith, all committed Christians, are concerned to continue the original vision of Pa Evans and also move the property and facilities into the 21st century.
Groups other than Charlotte Baptist Chapel Scouts are now increasingly using the facilities at Canty Bay. These include church organisations, schools, other Scout and Guide Groups and youth organisations.
Any group using the facilities is expected to agree and follow the Evans Trust statement of purpose - Promoting the Christian Growth of Young People. It is accepted that not everyone using the facilities will be committed Christians, but it is expected that they will be open to exploring the Christian Faith while using Canty. Some part of each day during camps and overnight stays should be spent in this way.